The Red River Zoo is looking for fun, creative, and responsible Junior Zookeeper Coordinators to help lead the Junior Zookeeper Leadership Program! As part of the Education Department your job will be to create a fun, educational, and well supervised experience for the program’s participants. This unique, position is a great way to develop management, education, and communication skills.
As one of our Junior Coordinators, you will work as a team to plan out and supervise each full day of dynamic activities for the youth participants the Junior Zookeepers. Typical tasks for Junior Zookeepers include (but are not limited to): preparing zoo for opening, assisting with the care of the Zoo’s animals, and interacting with the public through informal and formal presentations. The children in the program are ages 11 to 17. This positon runs from mid-May through mid-August.
- Supervise and mentor program participants
- Collaborate with other Junior Zookeeper Coordinators and the Education Director
- Deliver educational content and further the mission of the Zoo in a fun and exciting way
- Communicate effectively with participants, zoo staff, and zoo guests
- Teach and monitor safe handling of tools, bio-facts, and animals
- Assist with Special Events
- Develop curriculum for current and future programs
- Provide exceptional customer service
- Other duties as assigned
- Prior experience working with children/youth in a formal or informal education setting preferred
- Be outgoing and passionate about nature and wildlife
- Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to adapt to changing environments
- Be able to stand on your feet for long periods of time
- Flexible schedule (may work weekends, holidays, evenings)
- Trustworthy and personable
- Basic computer skills: Microsoft Office
- Be able to lift at least 40 lbs.
- Have completed at least 1 year of college.
- CPR/First Aid Certified preferred
Hours: Junior Zookeeper Coordinators will be scheduled up to 32 hours a week.
Seasonal (summer) grounds and facilities help at the Red River Zoo.
Working in the Grounds Maintenance Department, this position keeps the Red River Zoo looking great.
Estimated 40 hours per week.
• Lawn mowing
• Weed Trimming
• Trash removal
• Janitorial cleaning
Assisting with light maintenance Must have an excellent work ethic and enjoy working outdoors for a great organization with a strong mission of conservation. Background check required.
Apply Online:Apply Now
Internships are available for motivated persons that have completed at least two years of college coursework, or college graduates seeking on the job experience.
The Red River Zoo currently offers two internship programs. Education internships with our Education department and Zookeeping internships with out animal department.
Education InternshipsClick Here
Zookeeping InternshipsClick Here
Learn about the animals from the people that know them best, the zookeepers!
Red River Zoo on Twitter